Monday, May 9, 2011

28 week letter--Oh the places you'll go! (and the people you'll meet!)

My dearest LPG,

I am sorry that I have not written in a while. We are very busy around your house--we are in the process of moving to an even BETTER house for you to live in, love, and thrive in. Also, both Mommy and Daddy's AP classes are taking their exams this week, which kind of consumes our worlds. But I am here now, and I have something very important to say. It is inspired by a conversation with your Aunt Susan.

My daughter, I have told you about friends and family, and how wonderful and magical they are. This is nothing new, and awfully redunant of me to continue to touch upon. But the thing is, you can never be TOO aware of how amazing the people in your life are.

When I think back on my life, I am very sad that I didn't recognize the value of important friendships sooner. I may never have been terribly popular or well known, but I was never without at least ONE true friend. One friend that would do anything for me, and that I would do anything for. How lucky was I just to have that one? And how much did I devalue it for want of others? When I think back, these names flood my brain: Matthew, Jennie, Elizabeth, Lindsay, Deanna, Kristie, Joshua, Stephanie, Jenni, Colleen, Jamie, William, Eric, Willis, Rhonda, Sandy, Debbie, Corey, Jamie, Jessie, Tracy. Some names stayed with me beyond high school. Some were added in college: Erin, Pratima, Michelle, Lauren, Treasure, Diviin, Erin, Jennifer, Amanda, Rory, Caitlin. Some names stayed with me once again, and more were added as I began my life. But when I look at that list and I remember each of those special people, I realize how LUCKY I was, downright BLESSED to have them with me at a time in my life when I most needed them. And how truly fateful it was that I found them.

When I look at my current circle of friends, most who live miles from me, I am overwhelmed by the blessings I have been given. How did I find them? How did they find me? Who took such great care to ensure we found each other? I have to believe that God has a special plan for each of us, and it involves leading us to the right people. LPG, some of my dearest friends have been happened upon by chance. Your aunt Jamie and I knew each other in HS, but weren't as close. Some of those friends were happened upon through an internet message board, perhaps a silly way to meet people. But it brought me to some of the most valued and cherished individuals, whom I will never let go of, who have shaped me and reshaped me. Some of those friends I have met in a school that at first, I didn't even love teaching at. I came here with wide eyes, and quickly shut them when things didn't go "just my way." This caused me to alienate some people who could have been great friends from the start. I am lucky, and so humbled, that they were able to see through that wretched first year, stick around, and manage to break down my walls to be so amazing in my life now. They take care of me, guide me, provide me with insights and knowledge that I never knew I was even missing.

Suddenly, I feel quite popular.

LPG, your daddy is by far the most important person in my life. I don't know who, what, or where I'd be without him. I could never express in adequate words how meaningful he is to me. But we are also so incredibly blessed to have these amazing people around us. THese people, that even when mommy is, well, mommy and a complete and total JERK, stick around, love her, and hold her up until the next day. That see through her facade and reach out to her, help her and GIVE to her when they didn't have to at all.

When you think of all the millions and billions of people in the world, it seems so rare and impossible that you could meet just the right people that you need in your life. But my dearest daughter, I am here to tell you that it happens. It happens and it's magical and special. Some times, they come out of nowhere. Sometimes, they were there all along and it just took you a while to see it. But regardless of where you go, you will meet the right people. You will find the people to give meaning to your life, sunshine to your dark days, and happiness to your heart. I trust that not only will you find the right people, but also, you will BE the right person to so many others. You will share your love and life with many others, and change THEIR life for the better.

Above all, LPG, never forget to be thankful. We never know how long we have. We never know when a moment is our last. So every chance you have, every moment you can, be thankful to those that He has led you to, who He has placed in your path, who He has ensured you would find. There are few treasures on this earth, my love, and family and friendship is BY FAR the most precious.

We love you.
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment