Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dear Little Point Guard--Week 7

Hello my dearest little one.

I know that you can't hear or feel me yet, but I am talking to you every day. So is Daddy. We are so excited to seeing you in a week. The thought of having you here with us makes us overwhelmed with joy. We cannot wait to meet you.

My dear little point guard, although we feel as though we know you quite well, you are just meeting us for the first time. I want our letters to explain a little bit about who your parents are, as well as other important things that I hope you will one day know. I want to tell you this week about how Mommy and Daddy met.

In 2002, I had just graduated high school. I desperately wanted to attend the University of Michigan. However, I waited too long to send in my application, and was placed on the waitlist. My heart was broken, so I committed to MSU. However, late in that year, I got an acceptance packet to Michigan. MSU disappeared from my mind instantly. I registered for the cheapest room that I possible could--an economy triple. That is essentially 3 people in an 11 by 17 room. I was placed in West Quad, which is typically a sophomore and athlete dorm. It was quite terrifying, being one fo the few freshmen in a place where everyone already knew each other. But it all turned out ok.

Within my first week, I had met a group of boys from the floor below me. Many of them were from Okemos, and others were from elsewhere, but they were very nice. I instantly had a crush on one of them. I'm sorry, though, LPG, I wish I could tell you that my first college crush was on your daddy. But it wasn't. It was on his flirty friend with blonde hair. Your daddy was very nice, but I didn't notice him much for the first week. At the end of the first week, while some of the girls went out to get wasted, the boys organized a bowling night. That sounded more like something I was interested in. While I was there, however, I started realizing how Daddy's friend was just a flirt, and how cute Daddy's smile was with his little dimple. We talked a lot that night. We walked home, and there was a slight chill in the air. Daddy was wearing a white t-shirt with a yellow button down over it. He took it off and gave it to me. It was pale yellow, like butter, and it smelled amazing as I put it on. I could tell from that little shy smile that he was happy I was wearing it.

We talked a lot the next few days. I discovered he was in an a capella group, which was something I had considered trying out for. I watched him perform one night--he sang "My Sherona." Ask Auntie Susan about it one day, it makes her giggle :) He helped me put together a song to audition for a group, and the sweet little man didn't even have the heart to tell me that I was awful ;) After my audition, I had went home for the weekend, when I received a frenzied phone call from my roommates. "CHRIS WAS HERE! HE WANTED TO TALK TO YOU! HE LIKES YOU!!!!!" The two shouted. I couldn't rush back, but the seed was planted, and I knew that this was going to be something special.

We spent the next few weeks inseperable. Daddy took me on my first date--to a little Italian place, Palios, on Main Street. He brought me a flower. We walked up and down main street after, talking about sports and our families. We met each other's parents, and we took a weekend trip to Chicago over Fall Break. Daddy and I often joke that we condensed a 3 year relationship into a 2 month span. We fell in love and we fell hard, but we became to dependent on one another. Well, I become too dependent on him, since spending all of my time with him prevented me from making a large number of friends (although, as you'll find, I've never been a social butterfly). At the end of October, Daddy and I decided it would be best to go our seperate ways (read: Daddy decided lol).

We spent the next 2 years as friends, but dated occasionally. We dated other people and took time to grow individually. However, no matter who we met, no matter what we did, something always led us back to one another. We both went through some dark times while we were apart. We even dated for a solid 6 months in 2004, but it still wasn't time for us to be together yet. The thing is, LPG, love stories aren't always perfect. Sometimes, life gets in the way, and sometimes, we have to learn hard lessons. But one thing Daddy and I know for sure is that everything on our path happened so that we could be together now, and be as blissfully happy as we are.

One cold night in December of 2004, Daddy showed up on Mommy's front porch. It was the day before he would leave for Christmas break. And it was the day, from that point on, that Mommy and Daddy would be together forever. Since that night, there has been nothing but us. Nothing but love. In 2005, Daddy moved to California to teach, while Mommy had to finish her senior year of college. Upon completion, I joined Daddy in California, and never looked back. He is, without a doubt, the man meant for me. Your Daddy has an uncanny way of making Mommy feel like the most amazing, the most special person in all the world. I know he will do the same for you, too. I love him so desperately, and I would do anything for him. I am thankful for everything that led us to each other.

LPG, at one point in your life, this story may make you gag. Hopefully, later, you will appreciate it. But please know that sometimes, even when things seem darkest and surely won't work out, they do. They lead you to where you were meant to be, and who you were meant to be there with. You just have to trust your heart, and follow its lead.

Love always,
Your Momma

1 comment:

  1. I love your story. It brought tears to my eyes although I've read it before. I'm so over the moon happy for you and Chris.

    ReplyDelete